22.9.09

Resorting to Fisticuffs



As you can read from my last post, I have been thrust into a seasonal mood by my husband, Jesse. Along with that thrust, I have made some seasonal Baron Von Bacon Dog Toys. After many stressful sewing machine malfunctions, and going through two machines, I have completed my third Halloween dog toy, Count Baconula. But lets get to that later, and focus right now on the nature of the sewing machine.

If glitter is the herpes of craft supplies (you speak the truth Demetri Martin), then the sewing machine is the pull-start lawn mower of craft tools. Every time I have to re-tighten that dumb little foot, or re-thread the thing for the 400th time, I think of everyone I have ever seen having to pull that string on their lawn mower every 10 minutes. Why do we put up with the construction of these two machines?! I need help sometimes, okay... often. Due to this need, I decided to compile a few helpful websites for us that sew for love, but don't love to sew.

For all of you that own a Singer http://www.singermachines.co.uk/FAQ/index.ph

This website sells sewing machine manuals for several companies Shoppers Rule

Gives a step by step checklist of things to try when your sewing machine being temperamental http://www.fabrics.net/SarahMachineRepair.asp

This site even breaks down all the parts to your beloved sewing machine so you can actually understand what you are doing.
http://www.fixitclub.com/Small_Appliances/Sewing_Machine.shtml

This is a small list, but I will grow it as time goes on, probably each time my sewing machine makes me want to resort to fisticuffs.

I know you are wondering, "what was the problem, how did she fix it?" Well, probably you weren't but I am going to tell you! I don't know. My stitches just stopped forming correctly. I tried all suggested fixes, and nothing. I called my mom while she was on vacation even, the only thing she knew to tell me was to take it in to be services. Ugg. So I decided to borrow my mom's old sewing machine that she had retired. I LOVE IT!!!! It may not have 50 stitch choices, and it may have caused and an irreversible back injury due to it weight, but it is sturdy and consistent. Check this baby out! Sexy isn't it?!?


I have been sewing on a friends, nice, but very modern sewing machine. It is great, and I have no complaints. But when a sewing machine throws a hissy fit, we all know that we have to just give in and let it take a break. Then, I tried Mom's old faithful brown machine. It is quiet, sturdy, smooth, and dependable. I have always considered myself and old soul, and now I have one more piece of evidence. I would much rather use this simple, basic machine, that has stood the test of time. If you are sewing on a not-so-new machine send in a picture, spread your love for your old faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment